5 Ways to Stay Fit in Fall
The leaves are changing colors, and all you may want to do is curl up by the fireplace with your third pumpkin latte with extra whip of the day. Fight the urge to stay inside at home and go kick the calories instead! Here are a few inexpensive tips to stay fit this fall season and beyond:
1. Try out a local gym – Many gyms, fitness centers, health clubs, and the like offer free or low-cost trial memberships. Try out the weight floor, cardio equipment, or group fitness classes before you commit to a year-long membership at a place you dread! Look for a gym that is close to home. Find a fitness buddy so you can hold each other accountable for actually using your membership! Don’t get too pressured by the pushy salesman, it’s okay to shop around before you buy.
2. Play a sport for fun – Football season recently began, so why not get a hand on the pigskin yourself? Gather up family and/or friends for some friendly competition. If full-contact isn’t for you, consider touch or flag football. Losers have to make protein smoothies for everyone!
3. Sign up for a fun 5K – 3.1 miles may sound like a lot, but not to worry. Wear an inexpensive pedometer during your normal day to see how many miles you walk on average. Chances are, it’s more than you may think! Join a run/walk with your co-workers for a fun time outside of the office. Choose from Hot Chocolate 5Ks, Color Runs, Turkey Trots, and more.
4. Rake leaves – Remember how your arms were sore and you got blisters on your hands last year? That’s because you were doing serious work! Throw on a pair of work or gardening gloves and show the rake what you’ve got. If you have small kids (or you just want to have some fun yourself!), rake all the leaves into one big pile and jump in. Rake the leaves back up and repeat for some free fitness fun in your yard.
5. RUN – Yes, I said run. It doesn’t have to be fast. You don’t have to start by running a marathon. Just get outside and give it a shot. Set goals: try to run farther than last week, beat your personal record. Another perk: running is free! Keep this image in mind when you feel discouraged:
Don’t get stuck with winter weight, beat it!
What will you do to stay fit this fall?